Friday 8 October 2010

Leland Berman's Neighborhood Mapping 1


In my mapping I was looking at my neighborhood centered on Babil Sok. I live at the bottom of the hill that crests along Cumhuriyet Caddi.
This Avenue is a significant divider for the area. One side of the hill faces the Bospherous and the other faces inland. The difference in development patterns is easily noticeable able and the client/ user that is being designed for is also noticeably different. As you go downhill away from the Bospherous you experience dense and traditional city development that becomes more run down the further from the top of the hill you go. This is signified by the growing number of completely vacant lots. On the other side Cumhuriyet is "modern" city development with larger sized lots, bigger buildings and space between each structure. The buildings are pulled back away from the street and fail to keep the urban edge.
I also looked at Babil Sok and how I experience the street. As I live at the base of the hill that the street runs down the whole experience is one of going up and down towards Cumhuriyet. I think of the street as a series of milestones that I pass along the way. Each spot has different meaning and use for me. The stores we go to for different things, the restaurants I like, objects that aren't buildings or shops that mark points along the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment